Friday, 10 July 2009

Asus Eee PC + Ubuntu Netbook Remix



I bought myself an extension for my digital mobile usage, namely the Asus EEE PC 1000HE. With some freaking long battery time (8+ hour) and very lightweight so ideal for long mobile use. Only disadvantage it came with Microsoft Windows XP by default. Nothing against Windows XP, but on a 10' screen with a very small touch-pad, it is not very effective. So the search started, with one basic goal, allowing myself to work more productive on the small machine, with full (or extended) functionality of the things I could do with Windows XP on it. So all hardware has to work well and also nice stuff like hibernation, Fn (function keys) and others. I have tried a number like EasyPasy (Ubuntu Eee), "Eee Ubuntu", the intel one. But not fitted my needs, due to various reasons like look-and-feel, support, resources.

So I came to the official newly released Ubuntu Netbook Remix Which is exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for. Looks greats and works (almost perfectly).

I have to admin some tweaks needs to be made in order to get it to work close to perfectly. But it are no show stoppers.

To get the function (Fn) keys to work properly and get some better control on stuff like power settings, follow the guide of statux.org EeePC ACPI Utilities or in short (I am more of a CLI guy)

$ sudo -s -H
$ echo "deb http://www.statux.org/ubuntu jaunty main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
$ wget http://www.statux.org/ubuntu/key/statux.pub
$ apt-key add statux.pub
$ apt-get update
$ apt-get install eeepc-acpi-utilities eeepc-tray
$ exit


Next install a custom netbook/eeepc kernel. No details needed to post over here. Just follow the perfect guide of array.org, but to put it on one page ;-)
$ sudo -s -H
$ wget http://www.array.org/ubuntu/array-jaunty.list
$ mv -v array-jaunty.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
$ wget http://www.array.org/ubuntu/array-apt-key.asc
$ apt-key add array-apt-key.asc
$ apt-get update
$ apt-get install linux-netbook
$ exit


Now issue a reboot of your machine and select your new netbook kernel.

Both 2 will make your machine rock, run smoother and cooler as Windows XP, Enjoy! If you have questions or remarks, please comment I be happy to include them or answer them.

3 comments:

  1. thanks for the info.

    Ubuntu NBR compatibility page notes some difficulties with the wireless connection on the 100HE (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport/Machines/Netbooks#Asus%20Eee%201000HE). Have you noticed any problems?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually remember I did when running the generic kernel. Like some random disconnects. But in the later releases it all when to stable AFAIK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hm didnt know about the NBR. I installed a normal Ubuntu 9.04 on my eeepc, with some tweaks from the eeepc ubuntu forum. Runs nicely though :)

    ReplyDelete